View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Best editor/IDE for os x? 

This is my first post on this board. I'm excited. It looks like there's a lot of activity here.

I have a G5 running os x 10.3.3 with 1 GB of RAM and I need to know what the best PHP editor/IDE is for this platform. I recently got the trial ZEND IDE 3.5. It seems nice but it runs very poorly on my machine.

I have problems with the remote FTP functionality, preferences never save and sometimes windows just go blank. I need something solid. What do you guys recommend?

Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:56 pm
Report this post

Pure code and ease is hard to beat BBEdit. Like they advertise, it doesn't suck. Its the only program I ever got the actually described how to use the built in adjust salary function to adjust your salary. You add the PHP/MYSQL function libraries for editing help.

Zend does suck. Picked it up as part of the GoLive we really don't care about your DC stuff offer. Didn't even work until I constantly queried for the changes to the settings to match OSX environment. Does work, not pretty or UI friendly.

GL CS does have a decent code editor with PHP functions.

PHP Eclipse, JEdit and a number of others work also but I seem to always use GL6 or BBedit.

Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:05 pm
Report this post

A couple more to consider are jEdit: http://www.jedit.org

It's java so a bit sluggish on my iBook - should sing along nicely on your G5 though. The interface is pretty ugly though it can be improved by changing the icons. It is a very powerful tool and can be expanded with various plugins. (It's also x-platform which makes switching between Mac and windows easier).

BBEdit do a free version of their software called TextWrangler - nice editor but limited obviously.

Also Quanta Plus which can be run under X11 - I've got 3.2.1. It's been my favourite IDE for a while. It includes a great FTP synchronisation tool as well as code folding, syntax highlighting regex searches and all the rest. You'll need to install fink (http://fink.sourceforge.net) to install it.

Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:19 am
Report this post
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]