View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 UltraEdit 

I couldn't help but notice there were no opinions on UltraEdit here so I figured I'd throw out my two cents.

UltraEdit is a universal text editor for Windows that can easily serve as a replacement for Notepad. Aside from being rhobust, it also only uses a small memory footprint and thus functions quickly and efficiently. It comes with a series of functions including auto-formatting, color coding, and general code beautification.

By default UltraEdit comes with color coding support for 9 languages and is easily upgraded by modifying the wordfile included with the editor.

UltraEdit also comes with a series of general tools such as FTP, string alphabetizing, HEX editing, file comparison, optional auto-completion and macro support.

As a whole, UltraEdit is an excellent editor that should be a part of any developer's tool belt.

UltraEdit is shareware and can be downloaded at http://www.ultraedit.com to be used for a period of 30 days. The full version costs only $30 and is well worth the money.

Cheers,
Nathan Taylor

Thu Oct 23, 2003 12:18 pm
Report this post

Yes, UltraEdit is a very good editor ... they even support SecureFTP connections in addition to normal FTP ... they can do some basic class browsing/parsing to show members and since the highlighting is based on a Wordfile it's easy to update when PHP adds/removes functions.

Unfortunately it doesn't have any debugging support ... and so we have the whole slew of PHP IDEs ... these come in nice and handy for those logic bugs that you have to trace while watching the variable values.

So my point is that yes I agree that UltraEdit is a good editor (I have owned it since version 6 personally) there are still some things that make the PHP IDEs stand out :)

Fri Oct 24, 2003 3:06 am
Report this post
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]